ASV Solar is a Norwegian producer of solar panels, often said to be the optimal choice for northern weather conditions, and has been on Norwegian roofs for ten years. ASV Solar is more international than ever before. Our partners in Italy have expressed that the panels produced by ASV Solar are the best in the world! Below we explain why ASV exceed the traditional solar panels.
Pressurised and non-pressurised
Traditional solar panels use pressurised systems, however ASV Solar has chosen a different approach because of the many impracticalities of the older system.
1. When the circulation pipes are pressurised, the heat must be transferred to the heat storage through a coil. This means that the temperature in the solar panel must be considerably higher to submit the same amount of energy in the heating storage. The result is that far less heat is created despite the efficiency.
2.When the circuit is pressurised, the collector cannot stop producing heat without being covered up by a white tarp. This means that even though there might not be a need for heat, the heat still needs to be released somewhere. The pipe system must withstand a continously high pressure and temperature. This post challenges as when the temperature is too high, the safety vent will eject in order to avoidan explosion. If it does not react, a pipe may burst, causing fluid to escape. No matter if the valve reacts or not, the panel will need maintenance.
3. The pressure inside the solar panel prevents the water from going back into the container, causing it to remain in the pipes. Because of this, glycol must be added to the water. This is cause for more maintenance, and replacing of antifreeze chemicals in service-intervals - without enough glycol in the circulation, the solar panel can be damaged from freezing.
This is why we can say that ASV Solar is an easier and more secure system, and that a non-pressurised system has a lot of benefits:
1. There are no risks of explosions in the system, and quick release links can be used in combination with standard pex-pipes.
2. ASV Solar does not switch the heat between panel and heat storage, meaning that there are no need for the high temperatures of a pressurised system.
3. The drain back-system ensures that the pump will stop in case of too high temperatures in the heat storage, or too low temperatures in the solar panel. The water will then go back into the container, and there is no need for chemicals like glycol in the water.
4. A non-pressurised system is far easier to assemble than a pressurised system.
1. The pipe system in traditional solar panels are parallel to each other, causing uneven distribution of flow in the pipes. These pipes are also very thin, so that a minor contamination will change the flow and reduce heat production considerably. In addition, the solar panel-collector is usually made from copper, but because of the high price, a thinner copper material can be used if it is welded properly - but this increases the risk of leaks considerably.
In comparison, ASV Solar only has one 16 mm pipe, going continuously from the bottom to the top of the solar panel. Because of the great dimension of the pipes, a minor contamination inside them have much impact, and the water will always be 100% distributed no matter if the flow is high or low.
The collector is made from thick aluminium, and to protect from leaks, the material is placed as a single item, with no use of welding. This also makes it more robust, and after passing ASV Solar AS quality tests, it can withstand anything from a 5 m (or 16, 14 feet) fall to being run over by a car.
2. A heating sensor is used to signal the pump to start circulating and heating the water, when the collector is warm enough. Regular solar panels have sensors placed at the top of the collector, but this is illogical since the top is always warmer. This means that even if there is enough heat in the top part of the solar panel, it does not mean that the rest of the panel is hot enough to heat the water. Therefore, the system pump start in order to gauge whether there is enough heat in the collector. This leads heat away form the heat storage.
ASV Solar places the sensor in the middle of the bottom half of the solar panel, and has no need of unnecessary testing of the heat, but gives signal exactly when the temperature is just right to start the system. In addition, the solar panel has thermal dynamic efficiency, which means that the water moves from the bottom to the top of the panel, and then back into the heat storage. This gives a maximum heat exchange.
3. The heat storage holds all water that circulates in and out of the water-tank. Traditional solar panel-systems often utilises combined-tanks, which requires high temperature in the top part. This reduces the tank´s capacity as a solar collector heat storage by 50 %, which means 50 % less heat.
ASV Solar use standard water heaters to reheat tap water, so you can prevent the water from the high temperature area from affecting the efficiency of the panel. ASV Solar uses the whole tank to store heat from the sun, the results is a 50 % higher turnover from the heat production.
ASV Solar uses rectangular, lightweight tanks of 316L material (Stainless Steel). These rectangular heat storages can be placed next to each other without insulation, which therefore saves space. Several tanks can be isolated as one unit.
The regular round tank requires more space and weigh up to three times as much as the ASV Solar tank.
Integration and roofing
The visual design of the panels is important for many customers, and also for ASV Solar. We wish to present and sell a product as visually pleasing as it is practical. Our technique of integration ensures both the pipes and the tank are hidden in the facade, inside the building. Traditional solar panels often have pipes visible on the roof and inside technical rooms, and some systems have a visible container on the roof.
We choose to present ASV Solar as Design Solar Panels, because of its roofing construction. The solar panel is placed on battens, across tile-battens or lengthwise of a shingle roof; it can also be adapted in shape and colour. For example, a single roof over an outside space, can be used as a complete roof styled after the architecture of the building. This way, no tiles are needed in the area covered by solar panels. Traditionally, the solar panel is placed on a stand in smaller frames on top of regular roof tiles, which can be problematic because of snow, ice, and wind.
The function of the transparent polycarbonate sheet(made from unbreakable glass) on the ASV Solar panel, is to let in and "capture" light. The sheets are large scale and smooth, making snow glide off instead of piling up, and ice and frost will melt from the heat absorbing surface. To compare, the traditional solar panels have glass sheets, which can break because of rubble and hail.
ASV Solar has been quality tested by "Svenke Provning", with up to 900 kg(1980 Ibs) snow pr kvm panel. This is 9 times the standard requirements set by Solar Keymark, which is 100 kg(220 Ibs)pr kvm. The solar panels are eco friendly and completely free of any chemicals. Only pure water is circulated inside the panel, and the panel itself is recyclable - the wood can be burnt, the aluminium melted, and the fittings and polycarbonate can easily be recycled. ASV Solar panels can convert "free solar energy" into hot water for 40 years!
ASV Solar panels have been used for Norwegian roofs for 10 years, with many pleased customers. A lot of development and hard work has been put into the production, but the expertise is strong and clear, and we are proud of this all-Norwegian product.
You are welcome as a customer!